Ken Block’s X-Games 17 Racing Shut Down By Mechanical Issues

August 1, 2011

Uncategorized

After being eliminated from the Rally Car event on Saturday at X Games 17 due to a turbo system component failure, Monster World Rally Team driver, Ken Block, and his brand-new Hybrid Function Hoon Vehicle (H.F.H.V.) were able to return on Sunday for the RallyCross competition, only to be to be forced to retire again by further turbo system troubles.

“This was a really tough and disappointing weekend for me,” said Block. “It’s always frustrating when something as small as an oil line fitting can cripple a race for you. But, mechanical issues aside, there were some positive things that came out of this event. When the H.F.H.V. was running, it was really fast. Sure, we have some teething issues to work through, but I know that with a bit more testing, this car will be on top.”
 
During Sunday morning practice, Block put down the second fastest lap of the session, being just three tenths of a second behind two-time World Rally Champion, Marcus Grönholm. But then a puncture during seeding forced Block to stop for a tire change. As he was returning to the course, with only one lap to set a qualifying time, Block brushed against a barrier causing it to move, exposing an immovable cement post, which tore off the right front corner of the car. Unable to continue, Block seeded in last place. Still, he came from behind on the first round of the main event to finish his heat in second, right behind Grönholm. Then, during the second heat, Block came again from the outside position to fight head-to-head with David Higgins. However, on Block’s third lap, a catastrophic turbo failure forced him to quit, knocking him out of the finals. 
“While our weekend was plagued with mechanical issues, Ken demonstrated impressive speed at his first real RallyCross in the H.F.H.V.,” said MWRT Team Manager, Derek Dauncey. “Unfortunately, with a new build like this, problems are often expected, but many of the issues that arrived were very unusual failures on parts that typically never break. This was the first time we’d run the car in a competitive environment. Previously, we’d only used it during Gymkhana FOUR filming and the Los Angeles stop of Block’s Gymkhana World Tour. We’ll sort out the issues we discovered this weekend and start prepping for future competition.”
 
Block’s next competitive event will be the ADAC Rallye Deutschland, August 18th – 21st. Until then, follow the team at monsterworldrallyteam.com, facebook.com/KenBlockRacing and facebook.com/MonsterWorldRallyTeam
, , , , , ,

Subscribe

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Race of Champions – Triple ROC King Mattias Ekström Returns | Beyond The Red Line - August 4, 2011

    […] Ken Block’s X-Games 17 Racing Shut Down By Mechanical Issues (beyondtheredline.org) […]

%d bloggers like this: